Lakewood’s girls basketball team is coached by Marcus Urka
Kayla Sauers and Erica Potter were two starters for us last year, and they were our two captains. Their leadership will be missed.
- 3.) Please mention several athletes who will be key players…name, year in school, position. Your expectations from each of these athletes this season. (Feel free to attach a roster if one is available).
Anja Kelley, Sophomore PG. Anja is our strongest ball handler, and she does a little bit of everything–scoring, rebounding, assists, and defense. I expect her to be one of the top players in our league.
Zari Kruger, Senior PF. Zari was our leading rebounder last year, and one of our leading scorers. She was All-GLAC, and I expect her to be again this year.
Patsy Morris, Senior SG. Patsy is one of our best shooters, and she can also help out with handling the ball and setting up her teammates with assists. She is also a tremendous rebounder for her position.
Kristine Possehn, Junior SG. Kristine can handle the ball, finish with both hands, and is one of our best shooters.
- 4.) What expectations do you have of your team this season?
I expect us to be a more competitive team this year. We expect to finish in the top 3 of our league, and have a winning record overall.
- 5.) What will be your team’s strength?
Quickness. We put a priority on running the floor and getting transition points.
- 6.) What are some things this team needs to work on?
Taking care of the ball and reducing turnovers.
- 7.) Your conference: How strong is it and who would you consider the league favorites? Where do you see your team fitting into the league race?
Last year Perry won the GLAC, and I expect them to be strong again this year. We expect to finish in the top half, along with Perry, Olivet, and Lansing Christian.